Monday, April 14, 2014

ASA 2014- As it happens!

Nothing like a fresh new post after months of silence on here, huh??? Never said I was a professional blogger...I aspire to be consistent and creative with it someday though :) This season of life just doesn't give me all the time I need it seems. Not complaining... wouldn't trade it for a thing!
Our 2014 ASA Flotilla has officially kicked off. This particular week is finally not super busy for me and the boys on this end. They can't believe we don't have a ton of extra runs to make to and from Barraterre while Daddy is gone this week. SO, I'm taking some of that time and trying to put it to good use here. I'll try to post every day or two with an up date on the trip and what I've been told is going on out there :) 
 These pictures are from the launch morning with my helpers giving me a hand loading, hauling and toting all sorts of gear that goes out on these trips. This group is off to a great start! Another group of great people and some gorgeous weather so far. It was a little overcast this first morning, but by the afternoon, the sun popped out and shined its glory on anyone in Exuma. 
 I'm also going to do a brief rundown of the day's menu each post... we get a kick out of trying to really impress or please people out on the trips when it comes to the food. Some trips go better than others obviously, but I feel like we get better a little more each season. I just got a new food dehydrator that I'm stoked to try out...especially for the kayak trips {insert big cheezy child-at-Christmas grin here}. I'm going to call it "What's in that BOX?" To make a long story a little shorter, there's a dinner comedy show we went to with some friends one time years ago that said that line over and over in the show... it has become a random quote around our house over the years. The big black container we used to pack all the dry food (that our kids use as little swimming pools when not being used on trips) has given me my inspiration for the title ;) Want me to explain it further... just ask!
 SO....
What's in That Box Day 1: 
Breakfast was served at their hotel before we picked them up, so the first meal with us was lunch. 
Lunch: Homemade 7 Layer Mexican dip with Corn Chips and a fruit salad
Appetizer before dinner: veggie tray with homemade ranch dip 
Dinner: Homemade potato soup (recipe from a friend of mine and it is amazing if I may say so myself) with cornbread and lemon squares for dessert. 
**Anything that I can do in advance to help Dallas with the food on his trips, I try to do. So the baking and homemade recipes are done here in the kitchen before they leave, not out there on the beach :)
This is Lignumvitae Cay, the group's first campsite. This photo is not from their trip. 
 What's in That Box Day 2?
Breakfast: Banana Nut & Blueberry Breads with fruit
Lunch: Deli style sandwiches with fresh fruit...the Kicker here was the location. They setup a shade tarp on a gorgeous sandbar and had an amazing time (from what I was told). This sandbar in the photo is not the one they had lunch at today.
Appetizer: Salsa & Chips
Dinner: Chicken Fajitas with individual Key Lime Pies for dessert
 Tonight they are camping on this lovely island pictured below called Big Farmers Cay.... a truly gorgeous camping spot!
 Hopefully I'll have some more fun tidbits to share with you after tomorrow's fun day on the water. And stay tuned to find out What else is in that box! 

No comments: