Friday, June 29, 2012

Momma Went Kayak-y

Love how you did this Mike, thank you!
For some reason most Bahamians call kayaking, Kayak-y...hence the title here :) Warning... this post is a bit lengthy... just so you know!
Back in May, I was able to go on my first kayaking expedition with our company. I was able to do a sailing expedition years ago when we worked for the previous owners. So this was my first camping trip with guests since we purchased our company. I was very excited! Dallas was happy to spend a week at home playing with the boys :) 
I joined a trip with one of our regular outfitters who had a group of folks going out. I'm working on getting the training and experience needed so I can hopefully run some of our guided expeditions some day. I won't be 'Dallas' out there... but hopefully I'll be a fun alternative :) 
We launched our trip from Anne's Track on Barraterre. Just after we crossed over to the Brigantine Cays, I scooped up this starfish with my paddle as we were going for the first one of the trip... it was a fun hit with the group. 
Sorry about the water-spots on these photos. Above we have Jen, then Sheueling here below, 
and Jackson!
The famous, "Two Gals In a Kayak!" :) 
Photo by Steve H. 
Our first campsite was at Brigantine Cay. Took about 2.5 hours from our launch spot with a quick pit stop along the way.I was trying very hard to not look like a really 'noob' out there with everything, and I was feeling pretty good until we pulled up to the beach and Steve, our guide, told everyone they could just bring their cups and bowls/plates to the kitchen area if they want. My thoughts were, "WHAT!?!? I didn't pack that stuff, how on earth did I miss that on the packing list? CRAP, I'm going to have to beg and barter to get something to eat with this week." I did manage to empty out my plastic gatorade container, you know the orange ones that the powder comes in... yeah.. that was my bowl/plate for about half the trip and Steve graciously let me borrow an extra spork he had. I WON'T make that mistake again on a trip. We have that stuff packed in with our kitchen stuff on our trips so it just did not register for some reason when I was going over the packing stuff. Even though it was clearly on my list.... whoops!


 I took a little notebook that I jotted down a few notes along the way because I knew it would be a while before I would sit down to write this post. I have lots of comments with a :) or a :( after them. Those being my equivalent of pros and cons essentially :) For instance, the first day's notes include things like: 
"Saw a Lemon Shark right away :)"
"Dinner was great :) but the flies were horrible :("
"Had a great phone call with Joss tonight!!! :) :) :)"
"Bunkered down inside my tent hearing mosquitoes swarm all around :("

Get the idea?? 


The first day's weather was actually really good. The next couple days were on and off raining, cloudy skies so our pretty sunshine hardly came out to dry things up and very little wind which meant lots of bugs to deal with. NOT GREAT in comparison to the wonderful weather I know we could have had. Makes it tough when folks are only visiting a short time and we (as in Exuma) want to put our best foot forward and the weather just doesn't cooperate. Although, I will say this, paddling in the rain was actually really peaceful. The sound of the raindrops trickling in the water all around me was amazing. There was no wind which made it is easy to hear the lovely aquatic melody. :) 
Our second campsite was at Normans Pond Cay, pictured below. The paddle over from the Brigantines to Normans Pond is a big and exposed area to paddle. I know it has given Dallas' groups in the past trouble on rough and windy days. We had a really good day for the crossing, but as I was paddling along with the group and watching Steve instruct the group at certain points and breaks, it really hit home how incredibly mindful I will have to be out there on the water. I mean, I know how much Dallas does out there and a lot of what it entails, but this is a reason I'm out there training and not sitting at my desk watching videos and just talking to people. The reality of it all really opens your eyes. Currents, tides, ebbs, flows, safety, risk, group dynamics....it is a lot to focus on. For someone like Steve, it is second nature, he was a great teacher out there! 
Some of our fellow inhabitants on Normans Pond Cay. Thanks for the great photo Mike & Sheueling....
Photo by Mike & Sheueling
We had a layover day at Normans Pond (which means we spent two nights here). Most of the group got up and headed to the northern end and eastern side off the island to do a little sightseeing, snorkeling, and paddling. It was a good way to escape all the bugs that were still bothersome at camp. We all were always anxious to get out on the water. No bugs out there :)
We tried going into this salt pond (above) that is only accessible at high tide, but if you can imagine the bug issue we had at the beach, then the bugs in here where there is sitting water was ten times worse. We paddled in just the entrance here and you are serenaded with the hums of mosquitoes....RETREAT!!! We were all evac-ing as quickly as we could.
These photos aren't poorly exposed shots, with our naked eyes we could barely see where the horizon ended and the sky began. As we say it around here, "It was glass!"  

This paddle was one of my favorites. We paddled the length of the island and we were in really shallow water. The water being so calm gave us incredible clarity. I was watching fish dart into their holes and then peek back out at me as I paddle overhead. I could see all sorts of little ledges and holes. It was a great way to see things along the way. 
After a 4 mile paddle we had reached our snorkel destination. 
It was so nice to be in the water and just enjoying the sites. Felt weird without a little dude attached to my back and one hanging on my arm, but it was still enjoyable :)
We saw this clever Yellow Stingray above trying to hide from us. And the invasive Lionfish below. 
Our always lovely starfish :) 
These sea slugs were all over the place up in the cays.
Beautiful Sea Anemone
We finally got a bit of sunshine for our paddle on day 4 which made for a really nice paddle morning. Everyone had a hard time keeping the smiles off their faces this morning.  
Photo by Mike & Sheueling
Our fearless leader above, Steve! You sure know how to show folks a great adventure, thanks for letting me tag along :)
Photo by Steve H.
Above we have Marilyn, Jen, Jackson & Me, and below paddling solo is Mike. 
Gorgeous paddling conditions as we rounded Normans Pond Cay's southern tip and crossed over facing Perry's Peak (the highest point in the Exuma Cays) on Lee Stocking Island. We made our way up to a beautiful spot at Twin Beaches.
Twin Beaches, on Lee Stocking Island was one of the highlights on this trip. And I think that is a safe assessment from the whole group. Ironically, this is the same place where we get to practice our lightning drills too...but I'm getting ahead of myself here. The sunshine finally came out for a little while this day, and the wind was picking up to help us fight off the pesky bugs... 2 for 2!
These cliffs are so beautiful! We got to the top of them and Steve, who has been very cautious with the group up to this point, says, "I've wanted to jump off these rocks for years now....I'm gonna do it!" I think, "WAIT, shut the front door...you are going to JUMP off of this cliff into that little bitty sandy spot there that you may or may not even be able to jump the distance out to reach? NO WAY!" But sure enough he jumped, and survived to tell the tale, but jeepers...I was trying to recall any bit of first aid knowledge I had and think through my plan for evacuation.
Photo by Mike & Sheueling
Watching the storms brewing off in the distance, but thoroughly enjoying the cool breezes they were bringing in. 
I snapped this little shot in my tent. These were the trinkets the boys chose (or I chose) to take with me for the week. We try to always send Dallas out with a little toy or something that they pick out for him to have as a 'reminder' out there. Not like we're going to be forgetting each other any time soon... but it has just become a little thing we do. Some of you that have joined Dallas on trips in the past may remember playing with some of the little toys he takes, I do have a picture or two of that :) 
Dallas and my boys stopped by for a quick hello on their way up the cays to pick up another kayaker. They dropped off some nice cold cokes which felt like such a treat out there. Oh yeah and Dallas brought me a bowl, utensils and a coffee mug too so I could ditch that gatorade container at meal times... YAY!
We were working on dinner when the rain clouds trampled us. The bottom fell out. It was during this time that I realized I had left my rainfly open on my tent...rookie mistake!! I was able to get it closed and everything dried up pretty easily, but my camera did get wet, so I had to send it back with Dallas in hopes that he could rescue it before permanent damage, which he did. 
Photo by Chaz
Even with the rain pouring down his back Chaz was all smiles! I tell you what, this man was a trouper all week and always there to lend a helping hand. Thank you Chaz!!! 
Photo by Chaz
Steve just barely got out the instructions to everyone for what to do if the lightning gets too close and we need to do our "Lightning Drill". Less than 5 minutes after he went over it we were scattered in position. The rain was a much welcomed relief to the bugs, but this was insane. I remember a lot of laughter because, honestly, what else could we do?

I wish I had a photo to capture the night events... but nothing really portrays it. I could hear the water rising higher and wondering if my tent was about to get wet. The rainfly prevents your view to see this well. Sometime in the middle of the night I hear people out and about and the next thing I know there is someone right outside of my tent. I find out it is Chaz and Jackson out in the rain rescuing the girls and their tent and some of the kayaks and gear from floating away. They assure me my tent is safe from the water, so that helps but I also feel bad for staying dry and cozy in my tent. 
Photo by Chaz
Our final camp site was on Rat Cay... not named for its inhabitants. It's a lovely cay on a beautiful crossing that gave us a wonderful breeze. We spent the afternoon snorkeling, doing a knots class, talking about favorite books and movies and my first cup of coffee for the week! It was so refreshing and so enjoyable.

Photo by Chaz
The afternoon and evening on Rat Cay was full of laughs, joking and lively conversation. It's always fun to see how a group comes together at the end of week like this. 
Photo by Steve H. 
Next we have our FINAL PADDLE DAY!!!! And boy was it eventful. We were all pumped to be heading in after the week out, but it was also just getting good, in a way. The rain came and did not let up. We got close to shore just as the really hard surge hit. You can just barely see the land and docks below (which was where we were heading). I do remember hearing tunes from the 90's and early 2000's from a few kayaks over :) Jen & Jill were tearing up some fun songs for us all to enjoy!
Photo by Steve H.
 We got all the gear up, out of the water and were waiting on Dallas with the truck and it just kept pouring. 
Photo by Chaz
 Steve & Jen above having a little fun with our spare drinking water :) See... we were still having a good time!
Photo by Chaz
This week was crazy and buggy and rainy and cloudy and felt awful at times, but I look back on it now with very fond memories, lots of laughing, and good times that were had a midst the adverse weather or bug situation we were in. I loved the experience and I loved being out there! I'll leave you with a little write-up that Chaz did based on his experience. I'm sure you're tired of listening to my rambling by now :)


Renting a Kayak for a day trip is fun but you are always looking at the weather whether if it will be good or if it will be bad; what am I going to be eating and where is the local fast food store.   All of this is just looking at what to do for a day trip.

I have thought about going camping and kayaking in the past but have not considered them both together and it was fantastic especially in the Bahamas for 7 days and 6 nights was a dream which has turned into a reality.   The water and air temperatures were about the same so we really didn’t have to worry about if we get cold at night, the temperature was around 76 to 86 F (24 to 30.0 C).  
Travelling around the Cay’s was exceptional because you can really get lost in the environment and forget about your office and paperwork because you can leave all of it behind.   While paddling we were seeing starfish, string rays, needle fish, barracuda’s, nurse sharks, sea slugs, crabs, lobsters,  Andros Rock Iguana’s, and many, many more animals and fishes.   While traveling to and at our campsites, we stopped off at a number of Cay’s and was amazed to see the mangroves and the salt ponds.     
By my third day, I have started to lose track of time and was at peace with the area around me especially when I left my cell phone and laptop back at the hotel; there is no real way to enjoy the beauty and area of the Cay’s if you are being tied to a cell phone or laptop. 
We got our equipment from Out-Island Explorers and they were FANTASTIC.   They picked us up at the hotel and brought us to the staging area and then to the launch site.   At the end of our expedition they picked us up and brought us back to the hotel.   They were extremely gracious and great to be around.  When I got back home and told my son about the adventure I was on, he was upset because he said this is something both of us should be doing.  Now I am looking at what needs to be done to do this again next year with my son.

Regards
Chas











2 comments:

Steve said...

good times and great to have you with us Tamara

steve

Louisette said...

Wonderfull fotos nice place , greeting from Belgium