Monday, January 31, 2011

Final Contest Answer

To final answer all the contest questions...
Robert H. asked: Your most popular route (kayaking & sailing) and why you think everyone loves it so?
 
 Robert, if you had asked me this question last season I think my answer would have been different, but I believe our one-way trip to or from Staniel Cay is becoming our most popular route this season. Or the round-trip to Staniel Cay and back for sailing rentals. Hopefully this map works properly and gives you a better perspective of the route I'm referring to.


The larger boat this season has allowed us the chance to do one-way shuttles and resupplies a lot easier than last season. It was rarely an option that we wanted to recommend last season, and we couldn't offer to shuttle guests, only gear. This way we can offer both, and we have had quite a few folks choose this route already.
I imagine it is one of the most popular routes right now for the following reasons: 
1) You go one direction instead of doing a loop or paddling back over an area you already crossed.
2) As I mentioned in an earlier post, when people search or find out about the Exuma Cays they always come across the Land & Sea Park in the northern cays. This is one of their best ways to try to camp in the park due to the distance and time most people have. 
3) The Staniel Cay route offers places to resupply ice and water and a few little food items along the way, so it's not as tricky as doing it all in the lower cays. That being said we still usually recommend folks take the water they need for a week long trip to be on the safe side.
4) This particular route is longer paddle days than our southern routes, and for the adventure enthusiast and folks that paddle a lot, this is more along the lines of the distances they are usually looking for. And a little more of a challenge!
5) This route takes you past many cays with Iguanas, famous island owners, the swimming pigs and the Thunderball Grotto.
It's impossible for me to say this is the prettiest route, because I'm actually pretty partial to some of the southern cays, but you will have a beautiful paddle or sail along this route as well!!
Needless to say, Dallas has thoroughly enjoyed this new boat of ours for many, many reasons. I know we probably say this a lot and close friends and family are probably sick of hearing us talk about it, but it has been SUCH a blessing. Our great friends, and neighbors, down here have all the fun deep sea fishing gear and have been teaching Dallas all the fun tricks to the sport. Remember... he's grown up spearing and hand line fishing.. this is new territory for this Island Boy and he is loving every minute of it. I rarely complain when dinner's on the table :)
 This photo of the pecans above is solely for amusement :) Remember how I was talking about things being ridiculously expensive on certain items.... well check out that price tag for a 1 lb bag, $23.99!!!!! Thank you mom for bringing all my baking goodies like this with you in your suitcase--truly grateful!
I found this sunset photo from some that Charlotte & Toby left us a couple weeks back (we miss you guys). It whispered warmth to me when I was browsing and made me think of everyone in the cold, wet and nasty weather. Or even in the beautiful, snowy wonderland weather (whichever way it feels to you). 
~Sending you a bit of warmth from our sunny part of the world~

Dallas is out on our first Land & Sea Park guided trip, stay tuned for more :) 

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

I'm happy to provide you with baking needs - that island robbery!!! Keep experimenting with coconut and banana recipes!!!

Love ya,
Mom

PS - I'm looking forward to visiting those swimming pig :0)

Unknown said...

Looks like quite a trip!