Saturday, November 5, 2011

Our days lately!

 The weather here on the island today was a wonderful 79 degrees (F). For us this is nice 'fall' weather :) We have our windows open and are thoroughly enjoying the cooler temps. But it also means that the seasons are changing and we are no longer in the desperately quiet months of summer on the island. Tourists are slowly starting to trickle back in and our inbox has a nice flow of new inquiries and communications each day. 
 We were in Nassau (the capital city of the Bahamas on New Providence) a couple weeks ago visiting and working with Dallas' family. We took the boys to the zoo as a treat. We had fun doing something a little different. We don't have a 'zoo' on our island. We have wild critters and our very own 'aquarium' to play in though. 
 I was loving these orchids all over the place. The picture doesn't do them justice, they were beautiful! We have seen a few out in the bush here around Exuma, but they weren't this much in bloom. But.. anyway :) 
 The zoo is a fun little outing if you have a few hours in Nassau and would rather not barter at the Straw Market or fight the crowds downtown. The boys loved it because they had a lot of birds, and right now they are crazy about the movie Rio
 The flamingo lawn was really cool. There were probably 30 or more flamingos roaming in this lawn area that you have free range in. 
 This age is so fun... everything becomes a playground :) 
 Just for fun... HAPPY HALLOWEEN from the littlest Out-Island Explorers (aka- Percy & Thomas the Trains). 
 I apologize for the blog being left alone for most of the summer. I had plans to do a series, which I still plan to do, but the summer got carried in other directions. This last year, I (Tamara) have taken up a new hobby...building my own furniture! I was introduced to Ana-White.com this time last year, and the fun really began. I think living on an island where I can't just run to the store and pick up some furniture has really brought this passion to light. I do have a few projects that I tried to build many years ago, so I know the desire was there all along I just needed an extra little shove and some easy DIY directions! 
 The last couple weeks I have been advertising custom-made furniture and have actually taken a few orders. I just finished a couple pieces today, but this one below was my first official customer piece :) 
So I guess in addition to kayaking, sailing, fishing, boating and camping, Out-Island Explorers can now offer custom furniture :) Far from perfect, but made to please (hopefully)! We have guests coming back soon and will be posting more frequently. Again, sorry for the lull in posts.... I will be back soon :) 

No comments: